New Product Release Supports Mixed-Use Hot Zone Networks and Advanced Network Management, among Other Key Features
Pleasanton, CA – August 31, 2004 – Pronto Networks, a leading provider of carrier-class operations support systems (OSS) for managing large scale Wi-Fi hot spot and hot zone networks, today announced a new version of its leading OSS platform for public WLANs. The new version (v3.0) supports mixed-use networks for both public and private use and includes several advanced features in the areas of authentication, network management, third party system integration, and WLAN clearinghouse support.
“In the early stages of the public hotspot market, customers were looking for simple back office systems that supported basic Wi-Fi access,” said Nandu Desai, Director of Product Management at Pronto Networks. “Today, our customers are faced with more complex requirements, including the need to create customized splash pages and service plans for separate user groups and VNOs on the same network, provide multiple authentication options to users, and more efficiently manage a growing number of locations using standard management tools. The new capabilities offered in our latest release provide much of this advanced functionality required by operators and system integrators today.”
Some of the new features in Pronto’s OSS solution for public hot spots and hot zones include:
- Mixed-Use and VNO Support: Pronto’s solution now supports multiple SSIDs and associated VLANs, enabling municipalities and other mixed group environments to separate the network for public and private use and to provide customized splash pages and service plans for each user group. This capability also enables the operator to sublet the network to Virtual Network Operators (VNOs) who can offer their own customized wireless service.
- USB Key Authentication Support: Pronto’s solution supports an encrypted USB key authentication method which allows the end-user in the hospitality, campus, and MDU markets to securely and easily logon to the Internet by inserting a branded USB key into their laptop. The user’s credentials are built into the key and are encrypted during the provisioning process.
- SNMP-Based Management of Third Party APs: Pronto’s solution supports remote configuration and monitoring of third party access points (APs) and other SNMP manageable devices that are connected to a Pronto Hotspot Controller without affecting intermediate firewalls and NAT tables. This advanced capability significantly reduces deployment and ongoing management costs.
- HP OpenView Plug-in: Pronto’s new version provides a plug-in that integrates into Hewlett Packard’s OpenView NNM 6.x to enable monitoring of the Pronto Hotspot Controller and attached third party access points, allowing operators to leverage standard network management tools for monitoring the network.
- Webservices based APIs for Integration with External Systems: Pronto’s solution now offers Webservices-based Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for easy integration with third party billing and other OSS servers, enabling operators to offer Wi-Fi services to their existing subscriber base and provide consolidated billing. Pronto’s APIs can also be leveraged for other third party systems, such as loyalty/reward program databases and content management systems, to offer creative new services for end-users.
- Syniverse WLAN Clearinghouse Support: Pronto’s solution is integrated with Syniverse’s WLAN clearinghouse, enabling efficient bi-lateral roaming among multiple operators. This capability enables hotspot operators to expand their Wi-Fi footprint quickly and cost-effectively by funneling all clearing and settlement functions through a leading centralized clearinghouse.
Version 3.0 of Pronto’s OSS is currently deployed in Pronto’s private labeled Hotspot Managed Services and is immediately available for sale. For more information on Pronto’s carrier-grade OSS software, please visit: http://www.prontonetworks.com/pronto_products.html
About Pronto Networks
Pronto Networks, based in Pleasanton, Calif., provides carrier-class Operations Support Systems (OSS) that enable network operators to deploy and manage large public hot spot and hot zone networks. The company’s software handles provisioning, configuration, authentication, access control, security, pre-paid and post-paid billing, and roaming settlement for large public WLAN networks, in addition to remotely managing and updating multi-vendor hardware and Wi-Fi switches. Pronto Networks is funded by BV Capital, Draper Fisher Jurvetson and the Intel Communications Fund. Pronto Networks was recently named to the AlwaysOn List of Top 100 Private Companies for the second consecutive year and in 2003 received Wired Magazine’s Top 25 Wi-Fi Companies to Watch and Computerworld’s Innovative Technology Awards. For more information about Pronto Networks, please visit www.prontonetworks.com.
For more information, please contact:
Kristie Heins for Pronto Networks Ruder Finn, Inc.